The DSCC Division of Student Services includes the following:
- Advising and Career Services
- Testing Center
- New Student Orientation
- Disability Services
- Student Life
The mission of the Division of Student Services is to provide and support the development and coordination of programs (both academic and non-academic), services and activities designed to achieve three primary objectives:
- To provide for the general welfare of students.
- To promote the personal, educational and career growth and development of each individual student.
- To complement and supplement experiences in the classroom or in an online setting or in a combination of both of these.
Student services are provided to students in a variety of ways:
- DSCC students have access to One Stop Centers on the Dyersburg campus, at the Jimmy Naifeh Center at Tipton County and at the Gibson County Center. The mission of the DSCC One Stop Centers is to provide educational support, information and assistance to prospective and current students in an environment that encourages independence and personal reponsibility. One Stop Center staff are trained to answer general questions and provide front line services related to admission, financial aid, advising, testing, student life, records and business processes. They assist in empowering the student to use the MyDSCC portal as an efficient means to access student records and account information.
- Student Services personnel meet with students in office locations on the Dyersburg campus, at the DSCC Gibson County Center and the DSCC Jimmy Naifeh Center at Tipton County on a regular schedule and by appointment.
- All student services staff have virtual videoconferencing equipment allowing students to interact in real time with personnel located in different locations.
- Each department or office has a presence on the DSCC website, and students can access information 24/7. Office telephone numbers and email addresses of personnel are available on the website.
- Announcements about upcoming events and resources available to students are posted in MyDSCC, the portal to DSCC’s intranet, as well as in the Student Government Association (SGA) Online Course in the college’s course management system.
Student activites serve the extracurricular needs of the DSCC student body. These activities are designed to enhance leadership and social and mangement skills necessary to compete in today’s globally competitive world. The Director of Student Life, Dyersburg Campus and Gibson County Center and the Coordinator of Student Life, Jimmy Naifeh Center are responsible for providing the leadership and support for co-curricular activities and work closely with campus-registered student organizations and the Student Government Association.
The goal of the DSCC Counselors is to assist in student development. The Counselors will encourage and assist with the exploration of personal and professional choices. If indicated and appropriate, a referral may be recommended. DSCC Counseling Services provide education and assistance on several topics, including sexual assualt, alcohol and drug abuse, suicide and depresssin, and tobacco cessation.
CAREER AND DEGREE PLANNING
Students who are pursuing an associate degree or certificate at DSCC will be assigned a faculty of staff advisor after initial enrollment in classes. The Career Services Coordinator assist students who are undecided about their program of study. Career services prepare students for the job market with resume, interview, and soft skill workshops.
DSCC is committed to providing a discrimination-free environment for its students with disabilities. Students with disabilities are encouraged to self-indentify early to receive the reasonable accommodations he or she may need.
OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS AND RECORDS
The Office of Admissions and Records serve prospective students, students, faculty and staff by providing quality support services including: scheduling information, student registration, graduation information, records management and faculty assistance. The Office of Admissions and Records staff strive to develop and implement effective management systems that will ensure integrity, confidentiality, security of institutional records, and provide an accurate interpretation of such information.
The Testing Center provides a comprehensive testing program for Dyersburg State Community College and the community which includes administration of assessments to determine academic placement; exams for entry into specific programs of study; the Proficiency Exam to candidates for graduation; and serves the surrounding commnities as a Certified Testing Center for those seeking to obtain a High School Equivalency Diploma.
NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION
New Student Orientation is the foundation of student success at Dyersburg State. It will help alleviate student anxiety around attending college by answering questions about academic expectations, support services, financial aid, student life and prepare you for a successful college experience. Students attend NSO by appointment for virtual or in-person sessions, or an interactive online version is available in MyDSCC anytime.