Jun 19, 2024  
2024-2025 Catalog and Student Handbook 
2024-2025 Catalog and Student Handbook

Mathematics Emphasis (Tennessee Transfer Pathway), A.S.

The Mathematics emphasis is designed to satisfy the requirements of the first two years of a transfer program in mathematics. Students will find this area of emphasis appropriate for majoring in science or engineering at the transfer institution.

To facilitate success in this program, all students should enroll in ORN 1010 - Orientation: Learning to Succeed  during their first semester at DSCC.

Major/Concentration Codes: UTPS-UMTH

Use DegreeWorks to view a sample degree plan.

To view a sample degree map by semester for this concentration, go to Degree Map

Additional Degree Requirement:

Total: 62 Semester Hours

*For lists of eligible electives, see the appropriate section of the General Education Core Curriculum Requirements .

**Students who wish to pursue a concentration in actuarial science available at UTC, MTSU, TSU should complete ECON 2100 - Principles of Macroeconomics  and ECON 2200 - Principles of Microeconomics  to fulfill the requirement in Social/Behavorial Sciences.

***Students transferring to UTK must complete a non-U.S. History sequence.

****TSU requires PHYS 2110/2120 Calculus-based Physics sequence; Industrial Track of the Professional Mathematics Concentration at MTSU requires PHYS 2110/2120 Calculus-based Physics sequence; UoM requires either PHYS 2110/2120 Calculus-based Physics sequence or CHEM 1110/1120 sequence. TTU requires a two-semester science lab sequence but not including PHYS 2010/2020 as an option.

*****A programming language course is not required at the UTM or ETSU. Students transferring to UoM must earn at least a C in this course.

Note: During the sophomore year, students planning to teach should meet the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) or ACT testing requirements for their transfer institution.

Additional information regarding foreign language:

At some universities, foreign language may be required in certain programs that lead to the Bachelor of Science degree. Complete information regarding foreign language requirements at each university may be found on the transfer and articulation websites of the Tennessee Board of Regents and the University of Tennessee Systems. Community college students are encouraged to be familiar with foreign language requirements at the universities and, if applicable, complete the requirements before transferring.